Thursday, January 3, 2013

Miraculous Mushrooms

Soooo, this morning after my smoothie I wanted breakfast food:-) I made flax- teff pancakes ( a recipe I posted in the past). And as a side these miraculous mushrooms- which are amazingly good and super easy to prepare. These mushrooms are a good side to anything and can be prepared in a variety of ways. I lightly sautéed them in a stainless steel skillet in this photo, but have marinated then baked them in the oven or wrapped in aluminum foil and put on the grill or on the campfire. When we go camping or to a friends barbecue I mix the marinade and marinate the mushrooms in a container ahead of time so that when we are ready to eat all I have to do is wrap in foil and heat. I included tips for each way of preparation below:-) and of course this is a simple recipe that you can get creative with.

I prefer crimini, portabella, shiitake, or oyster rather than white button mushrooms, so you will see crimini posted here.

I went out to our garden last week (yes in the cold winter) and picked sage, thyme, lavender and rosemary, I have been drying it in a clay pot, as you will see pictured below. I used the rosemary and sage in the recipe and I do believe that the herbs set the mushrooms off!!!

The photo below shows the finished sautéed mushrooms with a seasoning that I used this time from Trader Joes called South African Smoke. I liked the kick this seasoning had, it is the first time I have used it because I generally add the fresh herbs with the paprika and a small pinch of hickory powder. TJ's South African Smoke contains: Paprika flakes, sea salt, garlic, basil. Because this blend contains salt you can mix your own or just use sparingly and do not add additional sea salt.

Ingredients:
Mushrooms
1 Onion
Garlic (several cloves, and garlic powder)
Balsamic vinegar
Braggs Liquid Amino Acids
Olive oil
Fresh or dried herbs such as sage, rosemary, paprika, basil, black pepper, sea salt... If you want a more smoky flavor add a small pinch of hickory powder.
Water as needed

Procedure:
1. Chop and slice your onions and garlic.
2. Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil (unless you are grilling or baking then see below)
3. Mix together the Braggs, Balsamic, and Olive Oil in equal parts (approx. 2Tbs each). Add herbs and spices and mix well. I add the herbs generously, add to suit your tastes.
4. It depends on how you are eating your mushrooms to determine the next step:
A. If you are having a mushroom sandwich or steak with a portabella you can leave the mushroom whole and marinate then bake at 350 with the marinade, onions and garlic. I like to spoon the liquid on top of the mushrooms a couple times while baking.
B. If you are preparing on the grill or campfire then place mushrooms, onions and garlic in foil and cover with marinade then slowly heat to soften
C. If you are slicing your mushrooms then go ahead and slice, then add to onions and garlic in the sauté pan and cover with marinade.
5. If your mushrooms get very dry at any point sprinkle with water.
6. Enjoy!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment